WBB's Nina Davis On Wade...
Yesterday 11:03 AM
Last post by RSS_Feed
Yesterday 11:03 AM
0 Replies, 11 Views

Old 04-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Collegiate Jersey retired

Oregon State Exodus

Expanding on the Quitters thread, though I'm reluctant to use that particular term, there is a spectacularly awful situation developing in the Northwest.

Oregon State has lost all but five of its basketball team, and it is rumored that the number may drop to as low as two. I say rumored, because this is from an unsubstantiated comment that I read in a blog. It does mean that the situation bears watching.

Here is the latest information on the who and what of the picture. The where is incomplete and the why is not exactly forthcoming yet. http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/b...cc4c002e0.html

Current Scorecard I'll update it as necessary. Correct as of June 1

COMPLETED ELIGIBILITY:
SR Julie Futch 31-25 games-starts 27.5 min 6.5 ppg
SR Stacey Nichols 12-0 4.1 0.0
SR Anita Burdick 28-0 10.5 3.6 Transfer from College of Southern Idaho

RETURNING (As of Tuesday, June 1)
JR El Sara Greer 31-31 26.3 4.4 Transfer from Kirkwood CC
FR Angela Misa 27-0 3.9 0.6 Is reported as debating whether to stay, June 1
SO Brittany Kennedy 31-6 22.3 2.7

TRANSFERRING/LEAVING:
JR Talisa Rhea (Seattle U.) 31-31 34.3 15.3
FR Tayler Champion (UC Irvine) 10-0 6.4 2.1 left team at semester
SO Kassandra McAlister (TBA) 10-0 4.6 1.4
SO Kirsten Tilleman (TBA) 31-31 34.4 8.1
FR Amaya Gastaminza no stats ADD injured, left team at semester
JR Eisha Sheppard 22-0 6.4 2.3 Transfer from San Bernadino College ADD left team April 29
FR Kate Lanz 28-0 8.5 2.3 (Portland State) May 3, signed with Portland State
FR Haiden Palmer 31-31 26.6 10.8 Has requested paperwork for transfer, June 1

COACHES LEAVING:
Assistant Kellee Barney (TBA)
Lavonda Wagner Dismissed "without cause", will receive 1.2 million $$$$$$$

“There is something everyone can do in this country to make a difference that may change someone’s life.” ~~ Collins Tuohy

Last edited by Dale8R; 06-01-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Second Team All Big 12

Sounds to me like an Athletic Director better get really busy, really fast. This is just terrible sounding and someone needs to take responsibility and accountability to find out what the heck is going on.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Big 12 Player of the Week

Pretty easy to figure out what is going on. A terrible coach, who doesn't relate well to her players.

A terrible coach who has so many cupcakes on her non conference schedule, Hostess should be a sponsor.

A terrible coach who won't get fired because of politics.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Recruit

she may need to go.It does not look good to say the least.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 AM

OSU AD speaks out about transfers:

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/b...cc4c03286.html
Old 04-22-2010, 07:56 AM

What is former OSU coach Aki Hill doing these days?

Last edited by Scamp; 04-22-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:12 PM

Here is the complete statement, until further notice, from Oregon State Director of Athletics Bob De Carolis. As one blogger put it, "Bob DeCarolis Speaks, Even If He Doesn't Say Anything" http://www.buildingthedam.com/2010/4...aks-even-if-he

Quote:
This will be the only comment from OSU Athletic Dept staff members until further notice. Thank you for your understanding.

We have received inquiries recently about the OSU Women's Basketball program, based on concerns about the transfer requests from several players.

When students transfer out of programs, you are always concerned. Sometimes the concern is for the student and the challenges he or she is personally facing. Sometimes it is for the program itself. But as you can imagine, each student who is faced with this major decision to stay or transfer is feeling pressures from many areas. You can never make assumptions or jump to conclusions without further inspection. At the end of the year, all teams undergo a review and I want to assure you that we are in that process right now with regard to women's basketball. I do want to assure all fans, students, faculty, staff, boosters and friends, that I am aware of your concerns and I am examining the status of the program and the welfare of our students.

“There is something everyone can do in this country to make a difference that may change someone’s life.” ~~ Collins Tuohy
Old 04-22-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
What is former OSU coach Aki Hill doing these days?
Bailing assistant coach Mike Abraham, out of jail? Hill whored herself to win by hiring that scumbag Abraham.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Commentary: Wagner, Beavers need to part ways
By Steve Gress, Corvallis OR Gazette-Times sports editor

The love fest with LaVonda Wagner upon her hiring as Oregon State's women's basketball coach in 2005 was a bit overwhelming.

Athletic director Bob De Carolis raved about how Wagner lit up the room when they met to talk for the first time.

"Her interview was a home run," De Carolis said then. "The first minute of her introducing herself, she got my attention. It was electric in the room."

Players said they couldn't wait to get out on the floor and play for the former assistant coach at Duke, who was charged with turning around a program that was coming off a miserable 6-23 campaign that included a 1-17 Pac-10 mark.

{Player} Mandy Close {said,} "We are ready for her to come in take us under her wing," she said. "If you take a coach from Duke, why can't we do well here?

"She's a great recruiter. She'll bring in great people. I definitely think (national title contention) is in the near future."

... After five seasons, Wagner is 68-85 overall and a miserable 26-64 in conference play.

Players leaving en masse, fans frustrated with some of the comments they hear from Wagner during games, a record that leaves much to be desired. ...

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/b...cc4c002e0.html
Would Oregon State have held a press conference on hiring a new English professor, trumpeting her as bound to win the Nobel Prize for Literature in the near future?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 AM

Junior Eisha Sheppard has announced that she is transferrring to be closer to home. http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbea...etball_10.html

Quote:
"I appreciate everything Coach Wagner and Oregon State University has done for me; I feel it's best for me to seek opportunities closer to home," Sheppard said in a statement released by the Beavers. "I made the decision for my family and me."
This cuts the number of returning players to four. They have added a new recruit, their third.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Olympic Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Would Oregon State have held a press conference on hiring a new English professor, trumpeting her as bound to win the Nobel Prize for Literature in the near future?
Would the press conference for that professor have increased ticket sales to her lectures?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Kate Lanz signs with Portland State. First post edited to reflect that.

Here's some added info on Amaya Gastaminza http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/w-b...102309aaa.html who did not play due to an injury just before the start of the season. She was a member of the Spanish team that lost 87-71 to the US in the finals of the 2009 U19 World Championships, but which did beat them 90-86 in the preliminary rounds. Gastaminza scored 5 points in both of the games against the US; her highest total in the tournament was 11 against Canada. I can't confirm it for certain, but I did read that she asked Wagner for permission to play with the Spanish team again this summer and left the Beavers when that permission was refused.

Lots of familiar names on that US team, Prahalis, Bone, Diggins, Ogwumike, Spani, etc.

Last edited by Dale8R; 05-03-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:34 AM

Former Oregon State women's basketball players critical of way coach LaVonda Wagner treated them

Tayler Champion made it to January before she decided to leave the Oregon State University women's basketball team.

Champion was in her freshman year and quickly found that playing basketball for the Beavers was a very different experience than she expected.

The big difference? She said the team's coach, LaVonda Wagner, did not treat the players appropriately.

"Basically we were called names," Champion said. "It was antagonizing stuff, basically going at us emotionally. She would go at us in practice until someone would break down and cry."

[Kate] Lanz said that Wagner was verbally abusive.

"She never hit anybody or anything but she would pull people around unnecessarily and a lot of times she would get in people's faces," Lanz said.

Lanz said Wagner conducted daily double practices over Christmas break that went for a total of seven to eight hours a day.

... "A trainer who is no longer there confided in me and told me to get my daughter [Eboni] out of there because LaVonda was trying to break her down," Erica Sadler said. "It was just the mind games that she did. It had nothing to do with basketball-related stuff. It was just mental abuse."

... "What (Wagner is) doing is not right," Erica Sadler said. "These young kids that are coming through, their parents have no idea what they're getting into with LaVonda. They should be worried. What they saw on visits is not what they're going to get once they're on campus."

Old 05-10-2010, 01:10 AM

The ironic part of this story, is that Tayler Champion, transfered to UC Irvine; where the current coach, Molly Goodenbour, was accused for verbal abuse at Chico St.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:05 PM

When it rains, it pours.

OSU assistant coach is arrested for DUI.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/loc...cc4c002e0.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: